Many of us have new year's resolutions that involve taking better care of our bodies. Eating healthier, achieving fitness goals, trimming down, getting more sleep (ha!), stretching, I'm sure you can think of a few others...
Whether or not you are a fan of New Year's Resolutions, perhaps we moms (and dads) could consider new ways of resolving to take care of our baby's bodies as well. After all, they can't make their own resolutions or form their own health habits just yet!
The Importance of Alignment
In an interview with Dr. Stephen B. Hill, a close personal friend and chiropractic gentle giant, I learned a couple of things that I can do for Penny's little thirteen pound body before she is old enough to take care of it herself, and about what chiropractic care can do for infants.
I hope you will read the full interview here.
But if you only have a minute, here are some key takeaways:
- Birth can be one of the most physically traumatic experiences in an average human's lifetime, and can injure tiny muscles ligaments, nerves and other soft tissues in the baby's tiny structure. Babies might "communicate" their discomfort from these injuries by exhibiting bouts of colic or reflux, or favoring one side while nursing, and other ways.
- Chiropractic can help little ones with things beyond just structural discomfort. Because of the way the body works, a simple adjustment might help with swallowing, speech function, hearth rhythm or gastrointestinal function.
- Adjusting a baby is less forceful than adjusting an adult. You can bring a brand new newborn for chiropractic evaluation and adjustment. (I did!)
- Mom and Dad can do many things at home to promote infant's healthy alignment and structural integrity, such as:
- Tummy Time
- Passive Movement
- Infant Massage
- Watching / Paying attention to patterns in their movements.
- Chiropractic can absolutely help pregnant women at all phases of pregnancy.
In the Phoenix area? Hill Chiropractic does a wonderful thing on the second Wednesday of every month called "Kids' Day"
All children aged 12-and-under are evaluated and adjusted for free. Yes, free.
When you call to make your Kids' Day appointment in January or February, mention that you heard about Kids' Day from the Becoming Julie Griffin blog post, and Dr. Hill will evaluate and adjust you (one adult) for a discounted rate of $40 when you bring in your child(ren) in January 9th or February 13th.
Pregnant? You get the discounted rate too... after all, you ARE bringing your baby in with you!
Visit Hill Chiropractic on the web for contact information and location, and call to make your appointment(s).